Above Photo: At the Museum of Natural Sciences (POZE)
Let us help you make a difference in the world!
Who We Are:
The American Fund for Charities (AFC) is a 501(c)(3) public charity that enables American tax-payers to support foreign non-profit organizations through tax-deductible donations.
With over 25 years of experience in charitable giving, we provide personal service to individuals, foundations, and corporations to facilitate prompt, reliable support of worthy causes around the world.
To connect people with great causes worldwide.
The American Fund for Charities seeks positive change around the world through support of non-profit organizations dedicated to social, cultural, and environmental initiatives.
How we work
US law permits Americans to receive tax benefits only for charitable giving within the United States. Americans who wish to support foreign non-profits may receive tax-benefits by donating to an “intermediary organization” such as the American Fund for Charities. Because the AFC is a registered US non-profit, donors receive tax-receipts for their gifts at the time of their donation.
When they make a donation to the American Fund for Charities, donors are invited to suggest a foreign charity or non-profit they would like the AFC to support. The AFC then assumes the risks and responsibilities of making grants to the foreign entity. Before they can receive grants, all suggested charities and non-profits must be evaluated to ensure they are legitimate and eligible grant recipients. At the AFC, this involves a detailed application and assessment process. The AFC retains a small percentage from each donation to cover these administrative costs.
Grant recipients are required to use donated funds for non-profit purposes and to report back on how the funds were utilized.
The American Fund for Charities is administered by an Executive Director supported by a non-profit management organization, GMA Foundations, in Boston, MA.
Benefits for donors:
- AFC ensures that all grant recipients are legitimate, accountable, and effective.
- AFC is a registered US non-profit, which means gifts are tax deductible to the full extent permitted by law.
- AFC maintains a very low expense-to-income ratio to ensures that the maximum amount of donated funds is used to support approved charities.
- AFC “walks the talk,” disbursing undesignated revenues to the world’s neediest people and causes through the Knowledge Africa program.
Benefits for charities and non-profit organizations:
- AFC broadens fundraising opportunities for foreign charitable organizations, facilitating charitable giving by US donors without necessitating the establishment of a US 501(c)(3) partner organization.
- AFC’s website enhances the online visibility of approved charities by providing links to their websites and posts of recent charity activities.
- Approved charities and non-profit organizations receive a donor “button” for their websites, directly linking potential donors to the AFC.