Above Photo: The Dartington Hall Trust
Charity Evaluation Process
The steps involved in charity evaluation include the following:
1. The charity must not be operating in any countries subject to US sanctions.
2. Applications must include the following documents:
- Proof of registration in the organization’s country of residence
- A completed application form
- Organizing documents and/or bylaws, translated into English
- The most recent audit
- The most recent annual report
- A brief description of current programs
- A list of current Directors and/or Trustees
3. The AFC staff and Board review these materials, examining the applicant’s mission, administration, programs, governance, and finances. Review of applications is typically completed within two months of submission of materials.
4. Once a grant is awarded, required documentation includes:
- A signed agreement certifying that the grant will only be spent for charitable purposes and briefly outlining how the funds will be used.
- At the end of the grant period, submission of a financial and program report detailing how funds were spent.
Benefits of becoming an AFC approved charity:
- AFC evaluation enables charities outside the USA to seek support from American donors, whether individuals, trusts/foundations, or corporations.
- The AFC website includes links to websites of all approved charities.
- The AFC provides all approved charities with a link from their websites to AFC’s website to facilitate fundraising.
- The AFC encourages all grant beneficiaries to send us activity reports and updates. We will showcase your good work on our website when we can!
Making the most of your Evaluation
Once a charity has been successfully evaluated by the American Fund for Charities, it may begin fundraising from American foundations, businesses, and individuals.
Where shall I start?
Your website: Make sure it is easy for your potential American donors to see that you can accept donations from them.
Recommended wording for your website:
You will need to make the American Fund Donation Form available on your website for your donors to print. Please note that apart from providing the name of your charity where indicated, you must not change any of the wording on the form.
You may also include a link to our website: www.americanfund.info where your donors may make a secure credit card donation to the American Fund and recommend the fund support your organization.
Lastly, we encourage you to add our “Donate Button” to your website. This is free of charge and may make it easier for your supporters to donate. Please contact us and we will send it to you with instructions. firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you have this information about the American Fund on your website, you should inform all your donors that US taxpayers can receive tax deductions for donations to your organization. Inform everyone because some may pay American tax or know other Americans who may wish to support your organization.
Please note that while we are happy to provide guidance, we cannot engage directly in fundraising activities. However, there are many websites that give advice about fundraising.
The American Fund for Charities will also add your organizations details and contact information to our website.
Please contact email@example.com for further details.