Above Photo: The Dartington Hall Trust
Charity Evaluation Process
The steps involved in charity evaluation include the following:
1. The charity must not be operating in any countries subject to US sanctions.
2. Applications must include the following documents:
- Proof of registration in the organization’s country of residence
- A completed application form
- Organizing documents and/or bylaws, translated into English
- The most recent audit
- The most recent annual report
- A brief description of current programs
- A list of current Directors and/or Trustees
3. The AFC staff and Board review these materials, examining the applicant’s mission, administration, programs, governance, and finances. Review of applications is typically completed within two months of submission of materials.
4. Once a grant is awarded, required documentation includes:
- A signed agreement certifying that the grant will only be spent for charitable purposes and briefly outlining how the funds will be used.
- At the end of the grant period, submission of a financial and program report detailing how funds were spent.
Benefits of becoming an AFC approved charity:
- AFC evaluation enables charities outside the USA to seek support from American donors, whether individuals, trusts/foundations, or corporations.
- The AFC website includes links to websites of all approved charities.
- The AFC provides all approved charities with a link from their websites to AFC’s website to facilitate fundraising.
- The AFC encourages all grant beneficiaries to send us activity reports and updates. We will showcase your good work on our website when we can!
When you have this information about the American Fund on your website, you should inform all your donors that US taxpayers can receive tax deductions for donations to your organization. Inform everyone because some may pay American tax or know other Americans who may wish to support your organization.
Please note that while we are happy to provide guidance, we cannot engage directly in fundraising activities. However, there are many websites that give advice about fundraising.
The American Fund for Charities will also add your organizations details and contact information to our website.
Please contact email@example.com for further details.